Thursday, August 11, 2011

To Exist is to Change...



“To exist is to change, 
to change is to mature, 
to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.” 
~Henri Bergson




yesterday I spent the entire day with my girlfriend who had the shoulder 
replacement surgery, she's still in a sling, but doing well.
having a bit of cabin fever, she wanted to go shopping...
& when I say "shopping" I mean it as it means shopaholic.
1st stop Anthropologie, where they have some amazing new things,
even suitable for me.  I was happy to see apparel cut in what seems like
larger silhouettes, all very fashionable.

my girlfriend continues to choose the same type clothing she's always worn,
and this brought up a need to change, something I believe is necessary.

in thinking about change, I was reminded of something I had seen recently...
a list of things & behaviors we all need to implement:



 Tolerating crap from other people. 
I no longer hang around with people who diminish me, drain my energy, or treat me poorly.
A relationship means both parties give equally.  If the other one needs something more
at a particular time,  give it freely.
 Setting goals that I should achieve.
 I set goals that I want to achieve.


 Putting other people’s needs before my own. 
I recognize that unless my cup is mostly full, I can’t be available to lovingly give to others.
 Putting work, money, projects, or television before those I love.
 Relationships are the most important thing in my life, and I act like it.
 Spending money to fill a void. 
I seek to find the cause of my emptiness. I don’t try to buy my way out of it.
 Beating a dead horse.
 If I see something isn’t working, I recognize it and move on.
 Owning other people’s problems.

I will support, listen, and love, but I no longer manage or invest myself in other people’s difficulties.
 Dwelling on the past.
 I consciously live in the moment and focus my awareness on what is happening right now.
 
 Reacting before thinking. 
I may not be able to control my feelings in every situation, but I can control my behavior.
 Over-promising.
 I promise only 50% of what I can deliver, leaving myself space for change.
 Allowing other people to waste my time.
 I take the necessary steps to educate or avoid them.
 Ignoring my intuition. 
I trust my instincts and listen to my own wisdom.
 Accepting limitations.
 I assume I can accomplish or achieve something until it is absolutely proven I cannot.
 Waiting for other people to decide. 
I have the self-confidence to initiate.
 Living beyond my means. 
I know that debt is an enormous energy drain and 
reclaiming that energy is far more important than material things.
 Taking other people for granted. 
 I regularly express my love and appreciation to those close to me.
 Over-thinking. 
I spend a reasonable amount of time contemplating a problem or decision. 
Then I get out of my head and take action.
 Stagnating.
 I continue to actively grow and learn.

Which one of these do you need to implement? 













Photobucket

Posted by Picasa