Friday, February 8, 2013

Outdoor Spaces



his & her pools?


O


Poolside fireplace





Patio


Backyard bliss



A little spring in the middle of winter for you! :)

Patio View, Lake Como, Italy
photo via pat
Lake Como, Italy











seaside, Florida



I have a little challenge in front of me...doing something with a
large barren flagstone courtyard leading out to an immense back garden
with a free-form pool.

the almost square space is surrounded on 3 sides by our soft contemporary house.

at the open end of the space there is a open pergola running across the top & making 
a walkway around the right side of the back of the house.


I'm thinking hacienda-looking, tons of large pots, painted black perhaps,
with a center rustic table & some chairs with cushions.

this area can be seen from all 3 rooms surrounding the courtyard, of course,
so it needs to be inviting & comfortable.

major problem, in summer it is a furnace out there.

act like money is no object...
what would you do to this space?
(if you can visualize it with the tiny bit of info I've provided).

help, please.....





Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Wow! those images make me look so forward to Summer. I like the second image because with the plants over growing the top I'm thinking it should provide some shade? In Spain they use canopies that you pull over (in white only) to keep the area cool.
    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoid black pots if its very hot and they are exposed to the sun large earthenware coloured ones would be lovely, you could plant a thornless bouganvillia if the pergola is open at the top for shade or run it along the edges, it will tolerate the hottest conditions, I had some spectacular ones in the desert here with 45+ c heat. A water feature will add ambience and a cool feel, and modern wicker chairs! I will post some photos for you to check out on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the hacienda idea is a splendid one Marsha. With your Texas heat (I remember it well :), I agree with Vannessa that shade will be important. Be sure to show us your results when it's finished.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to assume the pergola has an open roof??? My suggestion would be to not only have the plants grow over the trellis area (as in the photos) but also look into retractable shades specifically for pergolas...they come in wonderful colors and not only will keep alot of the sun out but also the debris from the overhead plantings. You can also invest in a misting ststem which will lower the temps by 10 -15 degrees. Other than that maybe closing the roof with a reflective material with a roof design to pull the hot air up and install ceiling fans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking about your pergola... attaching a white, light weight mold resistant fabric under the pergola that could be attached to open and close with a cord would help the direct sun. Careful of planting any vine over the top because it will rot the wood. Every time the wind blows or it rains all the dead flowers and leaves fall through to the table and it can be messy. From experience...I am saying this! Hanging lanterns would be pretty filled with candles and some pretty planter boxes filled with herbs for cooking would be fun!
    Have fun!
    xo,
    Gail
    Casual Loves Elegance

    ReplyDelete


Please know how much I value your comments. I read every single one and do hope you will take the time to leave your thoughts. I think InstaGram with the Emojis have taken a lot away from blogging, but I love IG too.