Friday, June 27, 2014

It's Never Too Late

"Oh my God,

 what if you wake up some day, 
and you’re 65, or 75, 

and you never got your memoir or novel written;

 or you didn’t go swimming in warm pools and oceans all those years 

because your thighs were jiggly and you had a nice big comfortable tummy;

or you were just so strung out on perfectionism and people-pleasing 
that you forgot to have a big juicy creative life, of imagination and radical silliness 
and staring off into space like when you were a kid? 

It’s going to break your heart. 

Don’t let this happen."


Annie Lamott



Anne Lamott is an American novelist and non-fiction writer.
She is also a progressive political activist, public speaker & writing teacher.
Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, her nonfiction works are largely autobiographical.
Marked by their self-deprecating humor and openness.  

Lamott's writings cover such subjects as alcoholism,
single-motherhood, depression & Christianity.

I can certainly relate to the idea of not presenting one's self if not the image of perfection,
so I'm certain I'm missed some very valuable and fun things.

Laying back for awhile I am trying to learn a new way to go forward.

Like, just once, I would love to eat too much pasta, to be completely
unrestrained by my own image of myself.  

And, I really need to learn to take life seriously and be involved with
things which are more important to me.

Our work on banning trophy hunting is good,
there is already much success in areas I didn't know about.
The US Government is being petitioned over & over to make it
illegal to bring "trophies" back into the United States.
This is a very good thing, because we all know how much these "hunter's"
(killers) love to show off.

Yes, I think wading into the surf might be good for me.
Even if I make a fool of myself.





Photobucket