Wednesday, April 20, 2016

A Movie Review....

finally, finally, finally

I watched The Revenant because it came on Pay-For-View,
because it was pouring rain in Houston and there was nothing else on TV.

well, except for the wall-to-wall election coverage, yada yada yada



I've thought Leo DiCaprio deserved the Academy Award for a long long time, 
especially for The Departed.  but, not for this one.

now that I've seen the film...well, I didn't finish the film...I had to turn it off
as there was absolutely no point in continuing.

my opinion of all of it:

very overly magnificently dramatic, including the cinemaphotography, the sounds,
shots of Mother Nature lingering overly long.

you certainly got the impression of the vast emptiness of space these men were
surviving within.
& especially the hideous cold.

this is not a woman's movie.

Leo didn't deserve the award for this movie, which should have been called
The Struggle.

there is lots of violence, violence of every conceivable kind (except for car crashes).
it's unending.
it's overwhelming, it's boring.

the cruelty of man to other men.

the characters are mud-covered throughout the film, there are ONLY 2 men
in this movie, other than the hero, who show any kind of sensitivity.

I knew I really wouldn't be able to bear it, and I was right.
for me, there is nothing artistic about the film.
it's overdone X10.

to see how some of the scenes were made/filmed GO HERE

I really think Will Smith should have been nominated and should have won!
I think Jada was right about that.
& it has nothing to do with blackness; it has to do with great acting & a great film
which tackled a very difficult topic with clarity & substance.



'nuff said....


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. You were 'right on'! Glad you took the time to say what needed to be said.....as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH hi!!

    You are way braver than I am! I knew there was no way I could "take" that movie! And my husband......(who is way brave!) said the same thing! So happy to hear your review! We are on the same page.....and there is no way.

    Thank you for the review! I thought Will Smith was the best acting I have ever seen since Tom Hanks in Captain Smith......did you see that? Best acting by an actor....I have seen in my entire very long life!!

    I am afraid the Academy Awards have become a political mess.

    I adore your blog!!!

    XXOO

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about this movie but I actually loved it as film. There's a kind of brilliance here in that it was so bare-boned honest about nature and humanity. The violence is not gratuitous but innate, both in the natural world and among people. Who needs armaments? It made me think of how little it takes to kill and how blessed we are, so far, that so many of us are still here. Yeats referred to "a terrible beauty" in the context of a vicious conflict and I think it applies equally to the conflict - as well as the cooperation - between nature and humans. As for the acting, I found it pretty outstanding, even in such grim and relentless circumstances. Essentially, I think this movie was about survival and the miracle of our capacity to do so, ugly as it can often be. AND the backdrop of what always looks like the silence and innocence of nature really gets to the heart of appearances. I could go on and on but, as you say, 'nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, your honesty is really refreshing. They should have based the Oscar nominations on your critiques!

    ReplyDelete


Please know how much I value your comments. I read every single one and do hope you will take the time to leave your thoughts. I think InstaGram with the Emojis have taken a lot away from blogging, but I love IG too.