Friday, April 30, 2010

Mom-Mom Rocks Kentucky Derby

continuing story...

Remember last weekend Chantelle was in NYC visiting Sean.
So Mom-Mom went to Louisville to visit her dear & precious friends,
who would have a horse in the Derby - like always - & to attend
the pre-Derby Luncheons and fashion shows for the locals.


perfect, wouldn't you say?





Of course, she loved the week leading up to the Derby because
she could see many old friends who had been attending as
far back as the Pleistocene days. 

She loved the Pegasus Parade on Thursday, and all of the little vendors who
set up shop in the park.

Diane Lane leads the parade this year, which honored
Secretariat.  Disney has just released their newest
file entitled "Secretariat."


Press Conference with Penny Chenery, owner of Secretariat,  
Diane Lane & execs of Disney
discussing the film and the lifetime of the magnificient horse.

and the breakfast on race morning




of course, all of this required changing clothes several times a day, and
required a different hat each time.

 
                                                                                             



Mom-Mom absolutely adored this one, but thought it was better
suited to the fall season...



this one is on a headband, a really nice idea for keeping your hair in
good shape when you take it off.

this is pretty special too, but brown & black on a beautiful Spring day?



what one needed to know about these exquisite flowers is that are all
handmade in extraordinary fine silks & chiffons...& if anyone thought
those other women wouldn't know the difference between
this and something from Hobby Lobby, they would be very wrong,
and possibly ignored completely.



You see how there is this little bow underneath the gorgeous flower?
hallmark of the derby hat designers.
And, yes, there are a few custom millinery studios which do nothing
 but make hats for the races and weddings...
Chelsea, Chantelle's mother, & Mom-Mom
had made certain Chantelle knew all this...
sort of like the book of etiquette.






following pics are from last year's Derby, both at the track
and
at the Brown-Barnstable Party


Brooke Shields with her little daughter






Brooke Shields introducing Kid Rock at the party


all taken with a cell phone cam, so the quality is not too good.





Hoda & Cathy Lee on TV this week


below, photos from last year of
amazing hats and beautiful women








Mom-Mom was beginning to think she didn't like pink that much
anymore, black & white just looked so much smarter...those
people over at Splenderosa and Simone must know something, 
 both were talking about
black and white so much this season.



note, mint julep in her hand










wearing the silk colors of the jockey










now, ladies, this is an example of how NOT to look, and God forbid
someone took her picture.


especially liked the all natural outfit and hat





this looked kinda perfect, didn't it?




pretty woman from Chicago












Lacie Minchew of Baton Rouge, Louisiana




Paris shopping for another hat in Louisville














Mom-Mom's hat for the Derby, outfit not shown
we're working on it as we post (no pun intended)




Chantelle's hat for the Derby
they always try to wear pink, you know?
 Violetta sent this lovely outfit over for Chantelle to wear to
the Brown-Barnstable Gala
What do you think?


Mint Julep










Secretariat finishing the Preakness

Saturday morning after the
Breakfast at Churchill Downs,
but before the preliminary races

RAIN




outrider checking the sloppy track


this man was there last year in exactly the same outfit, I took his pic


is this tragic?


Special note to anyone new to my blog; all of this is supposed to be
very tongue-in-cheek whimsical & comical.  I would be upset if
anyone thought I was being serious as I would never ever hurt anyone's
feelings...except for this hideous orange rooster hat ensemble.
xx's X10
Splenderosa (aka Marsha)

please remember to visit the some of the other 167 women taking part in
PINK SATURDAY
by clicking the button up top.



38 comments:

  1. Marsha, the hats are all so gorgeous, creative, unique!! Wish we could go to the races together!!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warnerheart@aol.com to me
    Email from one of my Houston girlfriends:


    FANTASTIC!! I need a hat for a fa la la la la luncheon on Wednesday. Wish I had one of these. Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha,
    This was so fun. If only we could go - to the pre/post parties as well as the race. The shopping prior to the weekend events would be the most fun. Enjoy your weekend. Rita

    PS Thanks for leaving the note on my post - Julie is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marsha
    I have to say the 'kinda perfect look' is exactly that!! Perfect and realistic.. . and image #2 is one of the loveliest I have seen .. i swear that girl is channeling Audrey!!! gorgeous...

    Lovely post... I need to go get an Audrey fix now.. hahaha... and. thank you SO much for your kind words.. really made my day... Hope yours is lovely too.. Happy May Day.. xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Pink Saturday Marsha. I truly enjoy your fabulous post! Love to try all the hats:).I like the red one and the white one.

    Enjoy the weekend.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Ralph Lauren hats (& clothes) are just too beautiful!! I adore hats!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marsha,
    Wonderful,funny and very inspirational post....thank you very much for working and sharing this,
    Happy weekend,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a fabulous post, great job!! I really love some of those hats pictured.

    Happy Weekend,
    xoxo DJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. SUCH A GLORIOUSLY GREAT SPRING WEEKEND POST,MY DEAR MARSHA!!!-)*

    I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH SONE HATS DESIGNS...IS SO ELEGANT,GLAMOUR AND JUST FABULOUS:-)))

    WISH YOU VERY BEAUTIFUL WEEKEND,MY DEAR FRIEND AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU KIND,WONDERFUL WORDS BY ME!!!
    MY LOVE,
    ***VIOLETTA***

    ReplyDelete
  10. the top hat in the runway would of been my hat of choice.
    why did you have to ruin it though by including paris hilton ? *wink :)
    chelsea clinton looks incredible!!! wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marsha,

    The Kentucky Derby is so exciting..although the pre-derby runs were canceled due to awful rains...check out this link:

    http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Kentucky-Derby/ss/events/sp/042610kentuckyderby#photoViewer=/100501/483/urn_publicid_ap_org_c433f773934444c581600def96250e45

    I know there was a hat at the beginning being rained on...boo hoo!!!

    Your post is fabulous but I expect nothing less from you..[no pressure for your future posts] LOL haha...I love, love your whimsical storytelling.♥

    And I sooooo know what you mean about pulling an all nighter for pulling together a PS post...it's just too fun!

    Thanks so much for visiting...
    You have a wonderful day!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie, I'm just listening to ESPN about the track conditions. Hope they don't let them run if it is dangerous. I know the owners would agree. You are so much fun, darling one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. definitely the women are a big part of the whole event... have a nine one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE hats! I feel they make a woman look gorgeous, classy and confident. I loved all these pictures. Thank you so much for this post. I enjoyed all the pics! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun to dress up and where big hats...loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely FABULOUS, dahling! If you want to get ahead, get a hat (and somewhere great to show it off). What a lovely post - those chapeaux are phenomenal.

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the post and the derby and the unintended pun! Happy May Day & PS!

    Please stop by for a visit soon and enter my Mother's Day giveaway!

    Valrie

    http://poemsmyway-valrie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing all the pics! I tend to love
    the neutrals or black n' white. A classy look, then some people can pull off the pretty colors!
    I think it depends on your tone, whether you are a spring, summer, winter or fall!

    These are great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, Marsha! I love it! Mom-Mom rocks! This is the best Derby post I've seen! I love living vicariously through your lovely little world! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Marsha for making me feel as if i had been there...I could envision my hat! I would love to go to the Derby at least once, never seen such fabulous hats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH waht a great post! Some of these women look so great they should wear hats all the time (but not all of them ;)

    Easily the derby post that has me wanting to go next year!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. So very creative... Can you believe some of these gorgeous people?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmm...think I need to buy myself a hat after looking at this post! So much elegance! And I adore the white and black dresses in the beginning of your post! Wishing you a great new week!!

    Kristin XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dying to make it to the Derby one day, one year, after this post, now only MORE so! Too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hats are just so much fun! - and you're right that top photo is just absolute perfection

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have never wanted to go as badly as I do now. Just dreamy! Those hats are fantastic! Hope u had a lovely weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. So fun to see all the gorgeous hats!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks so fun! I want to go! I love the outfit with the polka dot dress I would soo wear that! Great post doll! And thanks for stopping by my blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ahhh, these hats are amazing (well except for that orange creation you mentioned). There's something undeniably glamorous about going to a race wearing one of those masterpieces! I agree, the black and white combo is just classically elegant and I'm in love with the big white hat with the large turquoise flower!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I ADORED this post. I have always wanted to attend a derby and wear a fabulous hat while drinking a julep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Marsha, when I leave a comment on your blog your answer shows up in my e-mail. I like that, and would like to answer others back like that. Somehow I cannot find out how to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  32. FABULOUS post!!! LOVE all the hat FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This was such a fun post. I love hats. It must have been from being smitten by them as a young girl as I watched Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, and seeing Princess Di in all her many hats.

    Really enjoyed seeing all the hats here, as well as your commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well this was quite a treat. Thank you for sharing....Lu

    ReplyDelete
  35. I loved seeing all these pictures. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  36. beautiful post with beautiful hats and caps.If you're traveling to the Kentucky Derby this year, you're probably prepping for horses, caps and hats and bourbon. But if you've never been to Kentucky's biggest event, there are some things you need to know. It is Derby Home Rentals here you can relax and enjoy your derby rental.

    ReplyDelete


Please know how much I value your comments. I read every single one and do hope you will take the time to leave your thoughts. I think InstaGram with the Emojis have taken a lot away from blogging, but I love IG too.