Sunday, October 22, 2017

BY INVITATION ONLY - Reprise

International Blog Party


you remember, I'm certain, if you've been reading my blog for some long period of time, that we once had a series called

By Invitation Only

almost 2 years ago, after 5 years of running this monthly series, I decided it had run it's course.

and like the re-make of a great movie, or a new recording of a song, and so on, the incredible

D. A. Wolf  (aka Wolfie)
has taken the mantle and reprised the series.

TODAY IS OUR 1st POST
continuing monthly as before
many many many of the ladies are back with us and many new bloggers are being invited.

Wolfie decided on the topic of the beginning of 
FALL HOLIDAY SEASON & HALLOWEEN
like a
COSTUME PARTY !!!

ahhhh, costume parties....
those were the days, weren't they?
one year my husband and I went as a Mississippi River Boat Gambler & A Dance Hall Girl.
we won 1st prize!

when my 2 children were young we always had
 BIG HUGE HALLOWEEN PARTIES,
every kid won a prize, because they all deserved it.
most scary, most terrific, most awesome, most fun,
& on & on.

my time for costumes is pretty much over, 
as now everyday my life is like a costume party.  
I absolutely have no idea what's coming next.

vis-a-vis what's coming next, 
let me tell you about last Monday's dinner date...

retired plastic surgeon living in Houston, age appropriate,
talked many times on the phone, knew he was very smart,
had been married 3 times ( !!!! ), daughter living out of state,
someone I knew would be ok to go out with, or
with whom I would be safe to go out.
anyway.
he's gonna pick me up at my building, drives up in a new 4-door
Mercedes, I go outside to meet him.
he tells me it took him a long time to get to my place as he had come from the medical center which is pretty far away (Houston is BIG), and the traffic was terrible, so what does he do:  he tells me he thought we would go to Benji's, also across town????
I said maybe we should go somewhere closer since he had to fight traffic, and he lives back by the Medical Center.
So we went 2 blocks away, I could walk home.
to a lovely restaurant called Masraff's



he seemed ok with that.
he liked the look of the place.

then.
the waiter came, asked me what I would like to drink, I said a heavy bodied Merlot or Bordeaux.
the gentleman ordered tequila on the rocks.
the waiter asked me to taste the red wine, which I did and it was wonderful and I told the waiter so.
the gentleman said, "she would have said that to anything you
brought."


SERIOUSLY?

the man then launched into an interrogation, asking
me how I felt about this & that, nothing about himself or me.
just esoteric questions, designed to entrap me, I think.
in other words if I didn't agree with his hypothesis, I would be out.

I ordered a bowl of Chicken Vegetable Soup & a tiny
Spinach Salad, He ordered like Oysters Rockefeller & Risotto.

more questions.
more statements.
Image result for bowl of chicken soup photo


soup came, it was delicious and I said so, he asked if he could have a taste.  of course, he could.
ladies, he ate 75% of my soup, all of his oysters,
then he ate 90% of my salad and cancelled his risotto saying he had had enough to eat.

Image result for photo risotto

Image result for photo of couple at dinner sharing food

during dinner he explained how he used to do sex change operations (men to women) as it is impossible to do the reverse
(woman to man), I told him that was TMI, made a time-out
signal and changed the subject.
then he asked me how old I was, I asked how old do you think I am?  he said, "remember I'm a plastic surgeon."

about this point my brain unlocked and I knew this was not meant to be; I really wanted to leave, but decorum prevailed & I stayed.


Image result for photo of unhappy couple at dinner

during this entire ordeal HE had no clue he had been a tad inappropriate.  Really, he didn't.  

then when the check came he said, "this was expensive!"
I said, how much?
$99.00

enough enough enough
he brought me home, I walked my little Maltese and made
scrambled eggs for dinner as I was starving !!!

Of course, I'm completely off-topic for today's
BY INVITATION ONLY
but I thought you guys might get a giggle out of this story.
in fact, I think I have enough material for a book.

Big congratulations and thanks to
D.A. "Wolfie" Wolf
for putting BIO back together.

please hop over to her place
DAILY PLATE OF CRAZY
and see who else is participating today.

you know we all love our readers !!


HOUSTON ASTROS TO THE WORLD SERIES
WooHoo
after ALL the devastation Houston suffered from the
hurricane it's good to have our teams doing well.


19 comments:

  1. Oh Marsha. Giggle indeed! I wish I could say that I had never experienced that sort of date, but alas I have had my share as well. Although I must say, I have never had a stranger eat off my plate! My jaw dropped on that one. Of course, my jaw kept dropping on the TMI subject. Really? I mean, really?

    Here's a Halloween thought... let's hope he didn't think that dinner was a treat, as I suspect you thought it was or not so much fun trick.

    (Your soup looks absolutely delicious by the way.)

    And thank you, thank you, thank you for all the help getting quote by invitation only" going again. You really were such an incredible hostess for those five years. I look forward to enjoying a growing group of wonderful women participating once again.

    xo
    Wolfie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Marsha, have we also completely lost chivalry? Values? Manners? Personally, I don't think many
    if any, woman could endure such rudeness & curt shallow hollow conversation, plastic surgeon or not!
    Our society has really changed, certainly, one would have thought "at his age" he would have not lost the
    ole school manners of the days they were so valued and he would have enjoyed a refined kind beautiful woman as you!
    PS: many Drs. are so catered to by staff! So SAD! The FOOD looks delish sorry you barely tasted it! He also
    drops $99 at the dry cleaners, lol.....he's nuts! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha, I got a giggle reading this post, he needs to be taught some manners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dinner companion made a mistake inviting you out for dinner. He should have taken his ego instead, as clearly he thought he was doing you a favour, or something! What happened to courtesy and chivalry? Who eats from a lady's plate as a first time date? It's something you do when you are comfortable with each other! Even so, one mouthful just to taste it, not the whole dinner! And commenting on how much the bill cost! What! I think you can pass on that gentleman! You would have been better off with a plate of home made pasta in front of TV, than that!
    Well, it gave you a topic to share with your virtual friends, so it wasn't completely wasted!He's probably totally unaware of the dating sins he committed!

    Looking forward to By Invitation Only starting again!

    Cheers,
    Deborah - Melbourne Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello gorgeous Marsha,
    It's morning here in London and can I tell you.. I am smiling... really smiling... I'm sorry.. I'm sure the date was one you couldn't wait to get away from!! But ...I am smiling... I'm not sure what I would do if someone ate all my dinner.. maybe order another plate for the date.. seeing he liked it so much... ha ha... and as for the conversation... Yikes... I'm sure your darling Maltese was far better company ... Thank you for the bright start to my day... loved your words. xxv

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief!

    Thank you for the vivid description of your "date" eating off your plate, it made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Marsha ...... I don'tcare that you went ' off piste ' !!!!!! .... that was hilarious { sorry, I'm sure it wasn't hilarious at the time !!! }
    Isn't it wonderful that Wolfie has reprised BIO ....... you are a hard act to follow { she won't mind me saying that I know } but she will do a marvellous job.
    Can't wait to hear of more dates that you might go on !!!!!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I absolutely don't mind that Marsha went "off piste" -- in fact, as far as I'm concerned, she can share date stories at EVERY "BIO" post... though I do hope she has better luck with a well-mannered gentleman next time. (Why is it that there are so many spectacular women in the world who are UNattached?)

      Hmmm. With this party atmosphere, is it really Monday???

      xo
      Wolfie
      https://DailyPlateOfCrazy.com

      Delete
  8. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your date story....keep them coming. Sad but true, doesn't matter how much money you have, or how much education, a tad is tad!
    Love your posts

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, I looked at both menu's Marsha, I prefer the restaurant you chose, and both have very similar fare costs!
    Either way, the bill could a, would a been very close to the same! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that guy for real? You were brave to last through the entire meal Marsha - and can imagine your hunger after he scoffed most of your food as well as his own. What a rude thing to say about your wine - but at least it doesn't sound like he 'stole' that too!
    Enjoyed your Halloween stories - bet the kiddies loved coming to your home.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Giggle indeed I laughed out loud! I have heard this story a few times from single friends. I'm sorry you had to endure this "date". Smart thinking going to Masraff's as it is very close. Good riddance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy this lovely series you started is being reprised, and I am happy to be included. This post was a delight!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually Marsha, I was shuddering from memories of my dating experiences. They were so similar from 15 to 20 years ago. He's a narcissistic jerk! Society has changed but unfortunately most men in general are like this and usually the older they are the worse they are. I overheard a conversation between young couple Saturday night on a first date. I really wanted to tell the pretty young lady to run as fast as she can but I didn't. I've gotten so good at detecting these jerks that I can detect their scent a mile away. Oh the stories I have of my own! I'm so sorry you had to endure. Having said all that, don't give up. There are small diamonds still around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an absolute JERK!! I am amazed that you were able to endure 'til the end.(But, of course, you have good manners).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, the really good thing is that all of you shared the same opinion as mine! And, in retrospect, it WAS funny, funny enough to tell the story. I love all of you !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearest Marsha,
    What a wonderful post! Amusing,funny, entertaining, "off-pisting" - ha-ha (love that)...
    Simply a great story, a great post. You should write more of them.
    So, so good that we start again with the BIO-events, thanks to both of you, Wolfie and you. I must admit that I have really missed our monthly "meetings", although I have not participated all the time. Now, it will hopefully motivate me to go back to blogging, at least ones a month. I just have to find back enough inspiration, have lost it somewhere....
    Thank you so much for all your encouragement over the last years, for your empathy and friendship which is very precious. Stay as you are and take care.
    Heartfelt greetings,
    xoxo Karin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have wrote this comment yesterday but it was send back to my email saying:
    Message blocked
    Your message to splenderosa@gmail.com has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.
    Trying now again...

    Dearest Marsha,
    What a wonderful post! Amusing,funny, entertaining, "off-pisting" - ha-ha (love that)...
    Simply a great story, a great post. You should write more of them.
    So, so good that we start again with the BIO-events, thanks to both of you, Wolfie and you. I must admit that I have really missed our monthly "meetings", although I have not participated all the time. Now, it will hopefully motivate me to go back to blogging, at least ones a month. I just have to find back enough inspiration, have lost it somewhere....
    Thank you so much for all your encouragement over the last years, for your empathy and friendship which is very precious. Stay as you are and take care.
    Heartfelt greetings,
    xoxo Karin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too FUNNY!
    I have had similar dates, but it seems mine arrive late, banter on about their jobs, how much money they make, the weekends with the guys, their ex wives, that sort of thing.
    I never had anyone eat my food, but I did have one guy force me to indulge in half of his crab cake. I think it was some sort of test, he was putting me through, not sure. LOL

    ReplyDelete


Please know how much I value your comments. I read every single one and do hope you will take the time to leave your thoughts. I think InstaGram with the Emojis have taken a lot away from blogging, but I love IG too.