Thursday, October 17, 2019

The Use of OLD PIECES



from the time I can remember my grandmother, Mom-Mom, laid a beautiful table when she was entertaining the entire family.  a traditional beautiful table.

she taught my brothers and me how to do all this, and to do it properly.  it was a thrill when she
applauded what we had done with the place settings, knives, forks, spoons.

she would tell us where each piece had come from.
it's provenance.

so with the holidays approaching I'm thinking about dinner parties here at my little penthouse apartment (which FYI is on the 3rd floor).  I have a proper dining room, thankfully.

this is the time of year when we begin planning what to serve,
what to wear, and how we will decorate the table.

I have a few pieces of Cobalt Hock Glasses, wines & tumblers
& a decanter.  But, suddenly I want to use red or Cranberry as
that kind of glassware is called.

I've spent a lot of time on Ebay lately.
bought the loveliest salad plates in the old Staffordshire
in the red color.

now, I'm collecting the cranberry glassware.

I've decided to use a HOT PINK tablecloth, overlaid with a
PINK organza tablecloth, which will dress up really well.

I am fortunate enough to have the beautiful
Arte Italica Silver Filigree chargers, which will
be the base plates for the entire table.

and then RED.
red 100%  linen/cotton napkins
sterling silver napkin rings

I have every single piece of crystal imaginable & addidng the cranberry hock glasses will be beautiful.

then at each place setting there will be:
a lacquered little flower pot with a small faux boxwood ball.
just imagine how pretty this will be !

this is only the beginning, my friends.

since my husband passed, and now that I have 5 little
grandchildren, I don't often have the opportunity of entertaining at home.  and this season I want to do it very much.

I'll collect some photos for you guys when the new purchases
arrive and post them right here next time.

also a list of teacher gifts, hostess gifts, neighbor gifts which will not bust the budget.  this is the BEST thing, isn't it?  to find beautiful things everyone will love, but it doesn't cost $$$$$.

more to come.







4 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing all your new treasures!!! What a beautiful table you will create! I am in my favorite season of Fall right now do look forward to decorating for Christmas too! Hope all is well with you, Marsha. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi precious Pinky, I'm so excited about the holidays this year. I haven't entertained formally at home in a long time so I'm making a production out of this !! Sending love, darling one.

      Delete
  2. pink and red what a festive decoration. Looking fwd to see the table and I'm sure everyone of your
    guest will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete


Please know how much I value your comments. I read every single one and do hope you will take the time to leave your thoughts. I think InstaGram with the Emojis have taken a lot away from blogging, but I love IG too.